The next line of new phones are (or are already) coming out and not a single one of them is on my wish list.
The guys over at Gizmodo put together a quick comparison chart of the iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs, Palm Pre, the Android G2, and the Blackberry Storm. Not a single one has all 3 conditions that is satisfied by my current HTC Mogul:
- Hardware keyboard: I found that I like to use it when doing SMS and email responses vs. the on-screen keyboard for inputting contact info and scheduling notes
- Storage expansion: this is a must. I've 16 gig MicroSDs in all my gear now (and they are all full)
- Camera w/ flash: I use the flash to double as a flashlight at night more than using it for taking pictures :-)
Features I can live without:
- WiFi: that's what cellular broadband service is for (I pay $15 a month for unlimited data)
- Multitouch: how many fingers do you think you can get on a mobile screen before you can't see what your doing, honestly
- Headphone jacks: they have stereo bluetooth headsets nowadays (although, I'll concede that I like the OPTION of either or)
- Gaming acceleration: this is why I've a 24-inch monitor at home.
I mainly use my phone for listening to music, Google maps for directions and real time traffic, watching my pre-recorded TV shows like Eureka, Fringe, House, Mental, Dollhouse as well as my standby favorites (South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, the original Twilight Zone, Pink Panther cartoons, Tom & Jerry, etc), getting my messages from my multiple email addresses, appointment reminders, and using the internet to get movie start times (you really can't 'browse' the internet on a mobile screen).
Oh yea, and to make calls every now and then.
...and now for something completely indifferent:
- JamLegend + Xpadder: turn your PC into a rock band console (I picked up a wireless guitar controller for $15 and the rockband drum kit for $25 at Frys)
- Dub FX: another really good vocal loop music artist
- GoogleSatTrack: cuz they actually track that lost toolkit!
- TPB: FarNorth: since MaguMagu seems to be on vacation (or federally detained)
- Text to binary: cuz you want to see your name translated into binary
- Giz's dirtiest desks: so I can feel good that I'm not at this point yet
- Eyesight+gaming=good: study shows that playing games can be good for the peepers
- Seatbelt keychain: now I've something to do with all the extra seatbelt locks other then making pant belts outta them
- X-ray funnies: all your fav gaming consoles...under the gamma ray
- The Red Green Show: for all those DIY-ers out there (me included); duck tape is your friend!
- seanshrumart.com: hmmmm, seems I'm a decent impressionistic artist now (this isn't really me)
- We didn't start the flame war: cuz I DID!
- Moon: cuz the Stanley Kubrick in me likes the 2001 taste (plus the homepage pix almost made me have a seizure)
- Heatmapper: know where all your neighborhood open WiFi spots are (an which ones are WiFi noobs with default router settings)
- Ars on Father's Day gifts: hehe...Build this bong!